Landscape Design in Coral Gables
Premier Horticulture Makes Landscape Design in Coral Gables a BreezeDoes your outdoor space need an upgrade that makes it both attractive and functional? Premier Horticulture can help and we know just where to start!
Do You Need a Landscape Makeover?First, what’s a landscape makeover? It’s probably exactly what you think is: an overhaul of your outdoor space. Have you looked out onto your commercial or residential land and though, “Can’t this space be so much better?” Actually, it totally can! Have you had past landscaping work before? Our professional team will go in and check out the existing structures and plans. Sometimes, a few key improvements and fresh gardening can be enough to send your space into a landscaping magazine. However, sometimes we do need to start from scratch. Don’t worry because Premier Horticulture has plenty of experience with that too! If you really just read to rip up that dry sod and replace much of the outdoor fixtures, we’ll come up with a design that truly transforms your space.
What Types of Landscaping Are There in Coral Gables?Many types of landscaping exist and the same goes for the architects. However, even the most niche architect can fit into one or both of the following categories. The type main types of landscaping are:
- • Public Property and Commercial: These buildings can be office spaces or even apartment buildings. These are in a separate category because the spaces require different landscaping systems and the designs must abide by a different set of build codes.
- • Privately Owned and Residential Property: Personal properties aren’t under the same regulations as places of business or rental complexes. You might get a little more freedom, but our architects will make sure everything abides by local codes.
What Are the Premier Horticulture Values for Landscape Design?We always keep in mind a few key principles as we create and implement our designs:
- • Beauty and Appeal: Of course, the physical look of the space is an important element of landscaping. The space much be inviting and serve the purpose of helping visitors relax and enjoy their time.
- • System Function: Landscape architects generally think of your space as a system and we understand your system must do its job. We don’t just add in a water feature. We think about how it will be filtered, how excess water will be drained and how that fits within the landscape’s ecosystem.
- • Interconnectivity: No design can work without each element working together to create the best space possible. We’ll make sure your design elements feel like they are meant to be in the same space.
- • Environmental Sustainability: Landscaping included sustainability before it became popular. Sustainability is two-fold as we make sure your space can thrive in the local climate and isn’t harmful to the natural environment.
Differences Between Landscape Designers and Architects
In essence, the main difference between landscape designers and landscape architects is that designers typically work on smaller residential projects while architects are often tasked with larger and often commercial projects. It is true that some landscape designers have similar or equivalent training to a landscape architect—especially if they have an undergraduate or higher degree in landscape architecture. In general, a landscape will not have a state license, which is a requirement to be an architect.
To legally call yourself a landscape architect, you need to have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in landscape architecture from a university and be licensed by the state in order to design and work on landscape projects. Usually it is the case that landscape architects attend colleges accredited by the American Society of Landscape Architects and have passed the relevant exams to become licensed in this field. In generally, a landscape architect has the experience to undertake challenging tasks in both a residential and commercial setting. This includes:
- • Steep slopes
- • Retaining walls
- • Irrigation and drainage systems
- • Designing outdoor structures
- • Solving elevation problems
- • Designing or giving advice on where to place service lines, entries, driveways and parking areas.
By contrast, a significant number of landscape designers are self-taught, but many have also taken courses at college, university or at a community college level through an extension or certificate program. In essence, what this means is that you don’t simply wake up one day and start referring to yourself as a landscape designer without the prerequisite training.
Another common distinction between many landscape designers and architects is that the former group tends to work with the soft stuff like plants and grass, while architects are more likely going to be dealing with hardscapes like paths and walls! Similarly, when actual construction is needed, like wall building or electrical work, then a licensed landscape contractor will be brought in.
At Premier Horticulture, we make sure that all our clients have a direct line of contact with their landscape designers. Typically, a member of our landscape design team will show up at your home, examine your yard and lawn, take the necessary photos and get an idea of what kind of plants and garden maintenance issues you may have a preference for. From there, our designer will create a plan view drawing and plant list. As standard, our landscape designers will offer to visit local plant nurseries with you.
They will also always make suggestions as well as helping you shop for additional materials and furnishings. From there, our landscape designer will mark out a detailed plan for our landscaping contractors to begin the physical work of turning your dreams into reality. This includes tasks like excavating the existing garden and hardscape, building patios and decks as well as installing plants.
If you have any questions about any aspect of our landscaping service, then you need to call us today and let us get back to you. Trust us, we’re happy to help!
Give Us a Call and Speak With a Landscaping Professional
Why wait to get started on your landscaping project? Give us a call today and we can give you the information you need to make great design choices. We can also schedule your first consultation with a landscaping professional and we’ll make sure it fits into your schedule.